Friday 9 January 2015

Healthy Coconut Chutney Recipe


In keeping with the food theme from Fatima's post earlier this week, I wanted to share with you a healthy coconut recipe that I recently tried out. It was very easy to make, as long as you have a decent blender. What prompted me to try this was seeing an actor eating coconut chutney on the one and only Bollywood drama that I enjoy watching with my mum. As I was going through the ingredients, I realized how similar this is to hummus, since the base ingredient is also chickpeas. While traditionally chutney is eaten with some sort of an Indian meal or snack, I've enjoyed it as a light snack with pita bread, crackers, or even raw veggies. 

Hope this helps those of you out whose New Years resolution was to start eating healthier! 

xox,

Luvania

Ingredients: 
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen grated coconut   
- 1 tbsp. urad dal aka black split beans (soaked in hot water for 15 mins.)
- 20 curry leaves
- quarter of a red onion 
- 1 green chilli and 2 red chilli (can be modified according to your spice level)
- 1 inch of ginger
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp. mustard seeds
- 2 1/2 tbsp. cumin  
- salt and lemon juice to taste




Toast coconut and curry leaves (sorry, not pictured here!) over medium flame with 1 tbsp. vegetable oil 


Sautee chickpeas in same pan after coconut is toasted


Mix all ingredients in a blender - may need to do them in 2 batches like I did, depending on the size of your blender (My Blendtec can't come soon enough!!)


Voila!




Served here with an onion dosai

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm yum! And speaking of dosai, my mom LOVES it haha.

    xx Debbie

    www.whatdoffydoes.com

    ReplyDelete